UVa CHARGE Program Update
Last Spring, the CHARGE program hosted its 3rd Year Site Visit by NSF. The purpose of the site visit was to provide an external mid-point evaluation of the program and a set of recommendations to improve programmatic results. Overall, CHARGE had a very positive NSF site visit resulting in some exciting changes in our program. Many faculty members participated in the site visit, and we send a heartfelt thank you to all participants—you made it a success!
As a result of the site visit, CHARGE combined and restructured the program goals in order to take advantage of synergies between old and new projects. We are also proceeding with institutionalizing our projects that have shown success so they will be sustained beyond the life of our grant.
The reorganized CHARGE now has 3 goals with several projects supporting those goals:
Goal 1: Twenty-first century departments: strengthen departmental efforts to create a positive environment for women faculty
- Advocates and Allies – at the recommendation of NSF, we are starting a new project that has been very effective at other ADVANCE grant universities. The project will be piloted in the College first, and will have one faculty member in each department whose role it is to be an equity advocate working with search and P&T committees, and other areas.
- Training department chairs and deans - CHARGE continues to provide leadership and department management workshops for chairs and deans primarily through the Faculty Search Seminar.
- P&T Review in SEAS - CHARGE and SEAS faculty are working together to revise and update the P&T process, and ensure it is aligned with the Provost policy and best practices for reviewing tenure packages.
Goal 2: Recruitment and Hiring: increase gender diversity of STEM departments
- Academic Search Portal - the Portal will become a permanent part of UVa and will be sustained and managed by the Provost’ Office.
- Faculty Search Seminar - the seminar will be sustained as an ongoing activity beyond the life of the CHARGE grant. The Provost’s Office is leading a group of faculty and HR professionals to maintain the seminar and provide new learning opportunities to faculty.
- The Faculty and Candidate Guide to UVa and Charlottesville - launched this fall, the Guide is a comprehensive resource for candidates and current faculty on working at UVa and living in Charlottesville.
- Telecommunity - CHARGE has submitted a Jefferson Trust grant application to provide telecommute space and resources for spouses/partners of University faculty and candidate spouse/partners who accept offers.
- Recruitment Grants - CHARGE continues to provide Recruitment Grants to departments with searches in order to ensure diverse applicants, candidates, and hires. This grant has a rolling deadline, please apply as you need the funds.
Goal 3: Voices and Visibility : increase the sense of belonging of STEM women faculty among their schools & departments
- Enhancement Grants: CHARGE continues to provide Enhancement Funds to support women’s professional development in the STEM and SBE disciplines. Apply Now! The deadline for FALL 2015 fund applications is November 20th. Apply online.
- Photo Exhibit - faculty and exhibit professionals are working together to produce a photo exhibit of women STEM faculty highlighting their careers and shifting the notion of what a scientist looks like.
- Oral Histories - CHARGE social scientists have collected over 20 oral histories with women STEM faculty documenting their career trajectories, successes and challenges.
- Safer Grounds - CHARGE social scientists are testing the hypothesis that women faculty’s sense of felt safety and the built environment on Grounds impacts their use of public spaces such as labs, libraries and their offices.
Because of the volunteer efforts of many, CHARGE has been a successful vehicle for change—but there is still more to do! If you’re interested in working on any of these initiatives or joining the CHARGE team, please contact us at email@example.com.
Enhancement Fund Application
Recruitment Grant Application